Fritz' FNCE experience



 

 Every CNM that I have worked with over the past year has gone to at least one FNCE. Why would they take days off from their already busy jobs to go to what many outsiders might consider a vacation. After all, when we here about other conventions, the jokes and debauchery stories start rolling out. Well, this is not the case for FNCE; we network and start building relationships here. Read on.
I see six basic "parts" to FNCE. The first and biggest part is the floor exhibits in the main hall. The second consists of breakout sessions where presentations are made on new concepts, research, practice ideas, etc. Basically your summer case study on steroids. The third area is a large portion of the main hall where all the poster presentations are displayed. The fourth is only on Monday morning. This is when all the DPGs and job recruiters have their booths set up. Five and six are behind the scenes in private meetings. One is the AND planning committees deciding on the future direction of the RDN world (Nancy is part of this). The other consists primarily of each regions delegates, and they meet to discuss legislation and policy topics at both the state and federal level.
The main exhibit hall is very fun; lot's of free stuff and all the major food and nutrition supplement companies. You'll see Abbott, Nestle (never close to one another), Campbell's, the pistachio grower's board, Kraft, peach advocates and you get the idea. You'll also see booths for companies like Arivale (the wellness coaching company in Seattle that we talked about), a plethora of gimmicky health devices and all the education and chronic disease areas like the ADA. The CNM can get info about new thickening agents for liquids, gluten free menu ideas (this is a big one), vegan products, better tasting supplements and the list goes on. Even though there were thousands of people there, I saw Nancy twice, met up with Dr Gordon, Natalie and Jamie Mathews (twice), talked briefly with Chris Vogliano (twice) and met some very cool RDs from all over the country. Allie Lindke will be graduating Kent this May, and she is applying for an internship in Georgia. So What? I was filling out an online survey at the convention center, and the woman sitting next to me (doing same) noticed my name badge ID ing me as from Kent State. She asked if I knew an Allie (She had forgotten the last name); I said "Allie Lindke?", "Yes, that's her! I run the internship that she's applying for!" Building relationships, AND helping out your fellow students!
As most of you know, my primary purpose was to hand out resumes. I made sure that I had a perfect, no typos (I read it over about twenty times after I thought there were no mistakes and still found some), internship updated, career development center approved, resume. My cover letter followed the four paragraph style that we were shown, but I kept it more generic - I couldn't very well research the companies I was going to see. I started the letter out with dear hiring manager (this was the recommendation of the career development center). All was printed on nice, heavy weight, cream colored resume paper. Of course I wore a tie, and I believe that I impressed just about everybody! Many were pleasantly surprised that I was so well prepared; of all the times in your life, this is the time to exceed their expectations. If I were a CNM looking for new dietitians (as was the case with Lee Health from Florida), then FNCE would be a good place to set up a booth. If you have any questions about all this, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Concerning the breakout sessions, serendipity abounded. On my first morning, for the first session, the topic was using cooking as an educational/intervention tool. That's basically my master's project. It also gave me the hard to find references I needed to fill in the last part of my lit review. Even the presenters admitted that there was scarce material. They found a librarian to do their study search, and I reap the benefits. I also met some new friends in the Nutrition Entrepreneurs DPG. One of their leaders picked me right out of the wall to wall people in the DPG area, "You look like someone who is becoming an RD as a second career!" Second career RDs is a strong subgroup of NEDPG. There's some real strong experience and support in this group! I met some very important RDs. They also had the best break out session ever - using comedy as a counseling tool. One of their members is actually a stand up comedienne as well as a RD! This was not a static sit and listen session. We all participated in various exercises in comedy 101. One example was how to make a good joke out of real life experience. Start with something that you do in normal life, then add something true but totally unexpected. One man walked up to the mic to share this thought: "I'm a dietetic intern and I have a penis." The hall of about 200, mostly women, gave him a standing ovation. On the taxi ride to the airport I met one of the delegates from Pennsylvania. So what? She was also a member of the NEDPG, a member of the second career group, saw the same comedy session, and she's a Kent State graduate class of '79. We exchanged business cards (something else you might want to have).
Next year is the big anniversary FNCE in Chicago. I know that many RD alums from Kent are planning on going because it's reasonable driving distance. I recommend that you start planning now. They've already started early bird deals. Put together a group to share hotel costs; make sure that you make reservations as soon as they open them up - they get booked super fast. All the current second year interns will have jobs by then, but I would still make sure to have a few copies of a perfect and current resume just in case.
Nutrition Entrepreneurs DPG
Print Email
The Nutrition Entrepreneurs (NE) Dietetic Practice Group is an active and engaging networking group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. NE is home to a passionate group of dietitian nutritionists who are authors, coaches, speakers, media consultants, and also those who work in corporate health and private practice. NE has dietetic field veterans, incoming dietitians and second career dietitians. NE is also home to many students seeking experience in entrepreneurial endeavors as future dietitians. Members of NEDPG can build and maintain a successful nutrition related business and achieve professional and financial excellence with the supportive and innovative tools that NE offers such as a business tool kit, technology and social media tools, cutting edge newsletters, at least 10 FREE webinars annually, and access to mentor...

FD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are All Sugars Created Equal?

Milk Mythbusters