Quarantine 15


    We all know 2020 has been crazy. It is safe to say most people’s worlds were flipped upside down
one way or the other with sudden and drastic change. One thing that instantly made me worry at the
beginning of the pandemic was thinking about all the kiddos who rely on free or reduced school
lunches. I was volunteering to hand out bagged lunches to families. It was open to anyone and
everyone who needed it.

         While I was thinking about food-insecure families, I started to notice jokes about
“the COVID 15,” or “quarantine 15.” Seeing this bummed me out because weight gain should be
the least of someone’s worries during this time. Life was disrupted in major ways. I must admit I
was being hard on myself; specifically, my motivation level was at an all-time low. Eventually, I
decided this was a time to give myself grace. We have never lived through a pandemic before so
not having everything figured out was completely understandable.

         It is not uncommon to see a correlation between weight gain and stress. Eating might
be an attempt to fulfill emotional needs. So instead of being hard on yourself or trying a new
fad diet during this time, maybe your focus could be shifted to stress management techniques.
This could be something as simple as going on a walk outside, calling a friend or family member
to catch up, or watching your favorite movie. Whatever self-care means to you, be sure to take time
for yourself that you need.



-NM



Edward T. Creagan, M. (2020, August 18). How to manage stress and avoid
overeating when stressed. Retrieved September 02, 2020,

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post. I think it's really important to remember that there are many kids that rely on schools for both lunch and breakfast. Many are struggling with weight, or deemed the "COVID 15" during the pandemic, but there are so many other things that we should be focusing on. Also, I loved your comment about giving ourselves grace-- it's so important. JB

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was a great reminder of the most important things to focus on during these times. It is very easy to fall into the mindset of the "COVID 15". It is exactly like the "freshman 15" in college. It is more about self awareness and stress management than anything. Stress management and giving ourselves grace is important in all aspects of life right now. Thanks for the reminder!
    -BC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are All Sugars Created Equal?

Do you struggle with pre and post exercise nutrition?