Charcuterie Boards: How to Make eating Healthy Fun

Charcuterie boards can be a really fun and easy way to feed a crowd or yourself in any season! I personally love to make them when I am busy and do not want to cook. How I prepare my charcuterie boards is a mix of fresh and dried fruits, vegetables, nuts, dips, crackers, cheese, and sometimes deli meats! It can be fancy and elegant by using fruits like figs and dried apricots paired with aged cheeses or it could be simply made with cut produce or foods found in your fridge and pantry! 

 

Staples on my boards are sliced cucumbers, black olives, apple slices, and whole grain crackers. When available, I add honey, jam, summer sausage, goat cheese, cheddar cheese, almonds, pecans and many more things! It is fun to cut the fruits and vegetables into bite sized pieces and arrange them in a pretty way. It is such an easy way to encourage fruit and vegetable consumption! Pairing salty cheeses and fruits are fantastic and make such a simple meal taste more complex! 

 

 

 

It is important to focus on whole grain crackers, fruits, vegetables, and healthy fats such as hummus and yogurt dips instead of focusing on the meat and cheese options. This will make the boards healthier and provide the best variety!

Above is an example of a board I made for my entire family (about 8 people) for a picnic. Below is an example of a board I made for my immediate family of four.

 

 

You notice there is pickles, olives, nuts, berries, summer sausage, vegetables, nuts, and many more yummy things! By the end of lunch, it was all gone! There are endless combination possibilities available.  

For a smaller group of people, you may just want to cut down the amount served and some of the variety, but make sure to include all the food groups!

 

 

 

It is so easy and fun to make a beautiful charcuterie board! It can be made for a large group or even just one person (like above)! Also, if you run out while entertaining, it is easily refilled to keep everyone happy!

 

-AC

(These photos are my own)

Comments

  1. This is so awesome! I have been wanting to make a charcuterie board. Thanks for the inspo!
    AB

    ReplyDelete
  2. AC,

    I love making charcuterie boards! They're so fun to make and can be super healthy with the right ingredients. I'm inspired to make one for the next holiday, thanks! MY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! Charcuterie boards are one of my favorite things and are becoming more popular! i loved seeing your own pictures and never thought about putting pickles on a charcuterie board. Thanks for sharing! - KQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post! I love making these fun boards as well - great way to have a healthy, customized snack that can pair well with your favorite wine! Thanks for the post, gave me a few new ideas! CB

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are All Sugars Created Equal?

Do you struggle with pre and post exercise nutrition?