Don’t Be Afraid of Alternatives this Halloween


With Halloween right around the corner, you may be stocking up on bulk candy bags from your local grocery store or, if you’re like me, have it on your list of things to-do but won’t get to until the 29th or maybe even the 30th! Regardless of which you are, there’s still time to stock up on some candy alternatives for this year. Now I know what you might be thinking, why on earth would anyone give out anything besides candy on Halloween? Here me out.

 

With every house passing out candy, why not be the house to provide the ghosts, goblins, and witches in your neighborhood a little extra trick-or-treating fuel with snacks filled with whole grains, fiber, vitamin C, and 100% fruit juice. I promise no one will be mad with these candy alternatives:

 

Mini Bag of pretzels with peanut butter cups

Low-fat pudding cups

Mini 100% fruit juice boxes

Individual fruit cups in 100% fruit juice

Sugar-free gum

Cereal bars with real fruit

100% fruit leathers

Whole grain crackers

Trail mix packs

Crystal light mix-ins

Yogurt covered raisins

Mini water bottles

Dehydrated fruits packs

Veggie Chips

Apples

Clementines

 

Along with having a bowl of these candy alternatives, I would also recommend having a small stash of non-food treats for the kids that may have allergies to some ingredients in your alternatives or favorite candies. Holidays like Halloween can be really hard for kids with allergies such as tree nuts or peanuts, so providing a bowl of these fun surprises allows them to enjoy trick-or-treating without the risk of a reaction or having to turn away a treat at your door and, in effect, making you the coolest neighbor on the blook! 

 

Tattoos

Stickers 

Glow Sticks

Vampire Teeth

Spider rings

Assorted school supplies

Funky glasses

Bouncy balls

Bubbles

Assorted Party favors

 



Don’t be afraid this Halloween to step outside the box and provide the kids in your neighborhood with a bit of variation this year. You might be surprised how fast your stash runs out!



 

https://www.eatright.org/health/lifestyle/holidays/enjoy-a-healthy-and-happy-halloween


PR

 

 

Comments

  1. PR,

    This is an excellent guide to Halloween alternatives! While my development does not host a Trick-or-Treat night, I know plenty of individuals who live in areas that do. Ever since they found that I am becoming an RDN, they ask me every year how to make Halloween healthier and more creative (among other holidays). If I was still a Trick-or-Treater, I would be super happy to find these in my pillow case. I will keep you in mind next time someone asks for Halloween alternatives!

    SK

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this so much! I never gave it any thought for the kids who may have allergies. I will remember this when I pass out candy/snacks/goodies. This is really helpful, thanks for sharing!
    SE

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are All Sugars Created Equal?

Do you struggle with pre and post exercise nutrition?