Meal Prep Mastery

Meal prepping is such a good idea when it comes to eating healthy. It saves time, money, energy, and helps you make healthy food choices that keep you feeling good throughout the day (and throughout the week!)

However… until recently I didn’t really do it all that consistently. Why? I told myself I didn’t have the time or energy to meal prep. That changed this year when I found a couple of recipes and ideas that were SO easy that I had no excuse. I’d like to share those with you today…

1.       Overnight Oats – This is really where it started. I love oats for breakfast with all the fixin’s – hot, cold, I love it all. When I was making it one morning, I realized… I could prepare four days worth at once and add the liquid the night before. Preparing a batch like this saves so much time and effort and it’s SO easy and healthy!

a.       Set out 4 containers

b.       Add oats to all (I do half a cup of quick cooking oats)

c.       Add any other fixings to the overnight oats that you’d like (but leave out the liquid for now!). I like walnuts, flaxseed, chopped dates, and a little maple syrup.

d.       Seal containers and put them in the fridge.

e.       The night before, add milk of your choice to one container and give it a stir. The next morning it will be GOOD TO GO! How easy is that?!

2.       Easy Quinoa & Bean Pasta Salad – This meal is so easy and a fantastic way to get tons of fiber and plant protein in your diet. I think it makes an amazing lunch and I eat it almost every single day. AND IT COULDN’T BE EASIER TO MAKE! It also stores well – I like to divvy them into individual containers after making so I can grab and go for lunch.

a.       3 cans of drain beans (mix different varieties and colors)

b.       1 ½ cup cooked quinoa

c.       2 cups of leafy spinach greens or massaged kale

d.       ¾ to 1 cup vinaigrette dressing, more as needed

e.       2 cups of cooked penne pasta

f.        Mix well. Taste for salt and pepper as needed. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour. Gently toss in greens before serving to avoid wilting. Serve cold. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.

3.       ???  - This one’s your homework. Try a recipe and find a meal that you will be excited about eating. Some of my favorites are shepherd’s pie, tofu stir fry, or spaghetti and meatballs.

Here are some tips that may help you safely and effectively meal prep:

·         Safety!

o   Refrigerate to 40 deg F as soon as possible or within 2 hours.

o   Reheat to 165 deg F – use a digital thermometer!

o   Eat leftovers within 3-4 days.

·         Invest in some quality food storage containers. I like these because they stack well and a good amount of food fits in them. They are also not terribly expensive. https://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Twist-Container-Medium-Pack/dp/B010OVMETY/ref=asc_df_B010OVMETY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309760520871&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14382638686269980437&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9059010&hvtargid=pla-569986849840&th=1  

·         If the thought of preparing breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 5 days is overwhelming, start by preparing just one meal that will list 3 days. Like any good habit, it takes time to build consistency. Start small.

·         Clean, cut, and store fruits and vegetables immediately after purchasing. These ingredients can then be easily added to your meals, saving time and reducing waste.

·         When preparing meals, prepare extra portions to make plannedovers. Make use of food storage and don’t forget to use your freezer!

 

-TM


-

https://www.ndsu.edu/agriculture/extension/publications/now-youre-cookin-tasty-healthful-meals-budget-week-4-planned-over-food-0

https://files.nc.gov/dpi/documents/pfl/parents-community/articles/take-control/food/leftovers-planned-overs.pdf


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are All Sugars Created Equal?

Do you struggle with pre and post exercise nutrition?