Things I Wished I Knew Before Starting my Internship
It’s My Last Semester as a Dietetic Intern!
As I approach the end of my internship, it is such a bittersweet moment. I am extremely
proud and excited to complete this chapter of my life, but it is also sad to leave.
Kent State has given me so much more than two degrees. It has challenged me beyond
what I could have imagined, given me confidence, leadership skills, and provided
me with countless memories and, hopefully, lifelong friends. This experience has truly
been one of the most challenging yet rewarding things I have done so far in my life.
Now that I am nearing the end, there are so many things I wish someone had told me at
the beginning of my internship…
Mistakes Are Going to Happen!
You are going to make mistakes. We are human! If you think you are going to be
perfect, think again. Mistakes are part of learning and growing. Instead of being afraid of
them, learn to embrace them. Every mistake is an opportunity to learn something new
and become a better dietitian.
Ask Questions!
This is your first time doing many of these things, and it is completely okay to ask
questions or ask how to approach something. Do not feel silly for asking! Everyone
forgets things, and no one expects you to know everything. You are there to learn, so
take advantage of every opportunity to ask questions.
This Is Temporary!
You are going to see your friends having fun while you have to stay home and study.
Just remember: this is temporary. Think about how working hard now will pay off
someday. This is only one year of your life. It may seem like forever while you are in the
middle of it, but trust me, it will fly by. It definitely did for me!
Find Your People!
You need someone to lean on throughout this experience. It is hard—do not let anyone
tell you otherwise. Trying to balance being a full-time student, a part-time intern, and, for
some, working on top of it all, can be one of the most challenging things you will ever
do. Find people who understand what you are going through and can be there for you
during the difficult moments. Having a support system makes such a difference.
Self-Care Is Essential!
It is okay to step away from schoolwork. You do not need to be doing schoolwork 24/7.
If you need to, schedule time for yourself to relax and practice self-care. Read a book,
go for a walk, watch your favorite show, get coffee, or do whatever makes you happy.
You deserve time to rest.
Have a Routine!
One of the biggest things I have learned throughout this internship is the importance of
having a routine that works for me. I make sure to prioritize my sleep schedule and
give myself time at the end of the day to put schoolwork aside and relax before going to bed.
Having this routine has helped me feel more rested and ready to start my day. I no
longer feel as sluggish in the mornings, and I actually look forward to waking up early
and having my cup of coffee.
Learn to Love Constructive Criticism
Constructive criticism can be hard to hear sometimes, but without it, we would not grow.
I used to be someone who could barely check my grades because I hated seeing what I
had done wrong. It made me feel like I was not good enough. Now, I actively seek out
constructive criticism because I want to continue improving and become a stronger,
more confident dietitian.
Fake It Until You Make It!
If you do not have confidence in yourself yet, fake it!
At the beginning of my rotations, I had very little confidence, and that was one of the
biggest things I wanted to work on. People would tell me they could see my confidence,
but in reality, I was faking it! I faked it so well that I eventually started to believe it myself. After my clinical rotation, I
felt like a completely different person. I became more confident simply because I kept
telling myself that I was.
Have an Open Mind!
Embrace every second of your internship. Say yes to as many opportunities as you can.
Ask to explore different areas and learn from different members of the interdisciplinary team.
I loved every second of my internship, and I think part of that was because I went into
each rotation with an open mind and no expectations. Be willing to try new things, learn
from others, and step outside of your comfort zone.
Always Be Positive!
One thing about me is that I always try to look on the bright side of things. No matter
what is happening in your personal life, try to show up to your internship with a smile
and a positive attitude.You are there to learn, grow, and become the best dietitian you can be. Be respectful of
your preceptor and the learning environment by doing your best not to let outside
factors interfere with your experience. Being an intern can be scary at first, but once you get through those first few rotations,
you will start to find your rhythm. It gets easier, I promise!
Below, I have linked a few resources that helped me become more familiar with different
areas of dietetics before starting my rotations (specifically clinical). I hope they can help you, too!
And most importantly, remember to have fun! Enjoy the experience, make memories,
meet new people, and appreciate how far you have come
https://shop.dietitiansondemand.com/collections/internship-resources?page=1
https://www.youtube.com/@clinicalnutritionuniversity
BC
Comments
Post a Comment