Tacos - Why You Should Eat Them & Their History


Brussels sprouts tacos on plate with toppings.


According to the What'sCookingAmerica.net, tacos are a staple in the Mexican diet. I have no Spanish heritage, however tacos are also a staple in my diet. Nothing beats an order of those golden wonders filled with anything and everything my heart desires. At home when I'm cooking my own meal, I will saute up some veggies with all the taco seasonings (cumin, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder are the usual go-tos) and add some sort of protein (some days black beans, some days tofu - depends on what I'm feeling). One of my favorite taco recipes to make is this one from pinchofyum.com that includes shaved brussels sprouts, seasoned corn, and homemade cilantro chimichurri. When I head out to eat I am always searching on the menu for the shrimp tacos - and if they aren't on the menu the restaurant should really reconsider... 

The beauty of tacos is revealed in their versatility. In a health conscious world, a Taco Bell taco may not be the best option (but still can be the perfect food to satisfy that craving if you so desire) as it can be high in fat, sodium, and empty calories. However, you can find a "healthier" taco recipes almost anywhere that may offer a variety of benefits such as getting in more veggies, a mixture of beans and tomatoes for good iron absorption, or substitutions such as plain greek yogurt for sour cream to increase your protein consumption (I am a fan favorite of this one.) Tacos come in all shapes and sizes including fish tacos, breakfast tacos, or even a dessert taco (YUM x 1000 !)

In all this talk about the best creation that has ever graced this Earth, I couldn't help but wonder where these beautiful Mexican "sandwiches"came from. In my search, I found that tacos actually date back to 1520 when a Spanish solider known as Hernan Cortes ordered a banquet to commemorate his captains along their quest to the New World in Spain. This banquet is one of the first documented "taco Tuesdays" as we would call it now-a-days, and included lavish feasts full of Cuban pig roasts to accompany a plate full of tortillas filled with happiness. Over the years (approximately 394), the Americans took over and made their own version of the taco. In 1914, the first known Americanized taco recipe was published in Bertha Hafner-Ginger's cookbook stating tacos were "made by putting chopped cooked beef and chili sauce in a tortilla made of meal and flour; folded, edges sealed together with egg; fried in deep fat, chile sauce served over it.” I don't know this lady, but I like the way she thinks and I thank her for introducing tacos to all of us Western folks. I know I live a happier life when tacos are involved. Would you agree?? 



AG 

References 
Lindsay. (2019, May 17). Brussels sprouts tacos. Retrieved from https://pinchofyum.com/brussels-sprouts-tacos

Stradley, L. (2015, May 23). Tortilla and taco history. Retrieved from https://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Tortilla_Taco_history.htm

Comments

  1. I greatly appreciate the history of tacos, as they have played a big role in my life as well. I think its awesome to note that they can be a treat or they can be a part of a well balanced diet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are All Sugars Created Equal?

Do you struggle with pre and post exercise nutrition?