Pumpkins Are Not Just For Carving



Pumpkins Are Not Just For Carving :) 
This post might actually be for you! Are you someone who likes to carve and decorate pumpkins and someone who enjoys pumpkin flavor everything? I am not one of those people but I know some pretty interesting benefits of pumpkin.. AND this is just in time for you fall pumpkin lovers. Pumpkin contains this awesome antioxidant known as beta carotene. This antioxidant is the reason why pumpkins are ORANGE, how cool. Beta carotene is beneficial for our vision, skin, and our immune system. In the body beta carotene is converted to a form of vitamin A that contributes to all of these things in a beneficial way.

Foods Rich in Beta Carotene: 
-carrots
-sweet potatoes
-dark leafy greens
-romaine lettuce
-squash
-cantaloupe
-red and yellow peppers
-apricots
-peas
-broccoli

A Spooky Warning: Vitamin A is very important for our bodies. We can become deficient if we do not consume enough and  it can be toxic when consuming too much. Balance your vitamin A consumption this fall :)

Recommendation for Vitamin A: 700- 900 mcg/day for adults


AM
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-a#bottom-line
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/252758.php

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your post about pumpkins and Vitamin A. This is very applicable especially since the first day of Fall was yesterday. Fall is one of my favorite seasons with the leaves changing, and I must admit I am a huge advocate for pumpkin flavored anything and everything. I love how versatile it is and that it is packed full of Vitamin A.

    I knew that orange colored foods contained Vitamin A but I am glad you included other dietary sources above. I am happy to find out the romaine lettuce is a great source of Vitamin A, because I was unaware of that prior to reading your post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are All Sugars Created Equal?

Do you struggle with pre and post exercise nutrition?