Nutrition Shops


Have you seen local shops popping up recently “(insert your city) Nutrition?” 

Naturally, the word nutrition easily sparks my attention. Over the summer I noticed there was a local shop in my hometown. They advertised “healthy shakes and energizing teas.”  I was extremely interested to find out more info so I did a quick Google search. To my surprise, I couldn’t find a website, all they had was an Instagram account.  So I channeled my inner Nancy Drew and did some digging.

Their menu had ENDLESS shake flavors, from snickers, to banana berry to birthday cake, the list goes on.

The thing that caught me off guard was their lack of ingredients, and when I say lack of ingredients I mean zero were displayed on the menu.

When I called them up and asked what they put in their shakes, they were short and said they would be happy to help me when I stopped by to visit. Unfortunately, I was out of town so my persistent self, DMed the Instagram account the following day with the same question.

Their response as to what is in their shakes: “All of our shakes are 24g of protein ! Also have 21 Vitamins + Minerals J

Needless to say, that wasn’t exactly the answer I expected. The information was hard to come by.  It almost seemed to be intentionally hidden which was odd to me. Personally, I believe if a company has a product that should be proud to show it off and sell it.  It is important as a consumer to be savvy about the food vendors where you shop. It is key to know the ingredients in the food that you are purchasing.  Some companies under the pretense of healthy or nutritious may actually be selling products that are harmful to your body.

Lastly, while so-called “nutrition” shops can be an excellent source of nutrient rich foods, there are things to keep in mind to make you a savvy shopper.

1. If the ingredients on the nutrition label is a paragraph long with hard to pronounce and difficult to define words.

                            2. Don’t be afraid to do some research and read reviews.

3. If you have any questions, reach out to the company or the distributor






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are All Sugars Created Equal?

Do you struggle with pre and post exercise nutrition?