The Answer: Rotisserie Chicken



            Let’s be honest…most college students are usually broke and on some type of budget. Most of them do not have the time to cook and some do not have access to things like an oven, microwave, etc.  Are you a college student looking for something good to eat that is inexpensive, requires very little prepping, does not require any cooking whatsoever, and will keep you full and satisfied? The answer: ROSTISSERIE CHICKEN!! YES!!
            Rotisserie chickens are awesome in the fact that they are literally $5 at Walmart for the ENTIRE chicken…yep $5! They also require zero preparation and zero cooking...They are baked fully in a rotisserie oven and are ready to go once you buy them.
            Rotisserie Chickens can be used in EVERYTHING! You can eat it piece by piece off the bone, you can add it to salads, wraps, sandwiches, fry it up in a pan and make stir-fry and so much more. Here is the catch: there may be a lot of sodium in the skin of the chicken so in order to make it a little more nutritious, take the skin off and drain the liquid at the bottom of the container (most of that is fat!). Now you have a ton of chicken that is cooked and ready to go!
Did you know that 3 ounces of rotisserie chicken has about 24 grams of protein? It also contains a good source of nutrients like niacin, iron, and zinc! Yay! One thing that I personally love to do with a rotisserie chicken is cut it up and make a chicken salad with it. I use my mom’s recipe which I will attach below..it is so GOOD!
            Overall, a rotisserie chicken is a college students BFF. They have so many great qualities and I KNOW every time I am at a grocery store and pass by the hot food stand, I ALWAYS grab a rotisserie chicken!

Chicken Salad Recipe

Ingredients:
All meat of rotisserie chicken - chopped
1 cup celery - chopped
1 cup red onion - chopped
1 teaspoon of yellow mustard
½ cup of miracle whip
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon sugar

Directions:
1.     Cut up the chicken into small pieces and mix in the celery and red onion
2.     Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix it together
3.     Chill for 1 hour for best results!



IB

Comments

  1. I love rotisserie chicken! I would always buy them whenever I don't have time to cook or just craving for one :) I usually eat mine with boston lettuce and grape tomatoes. I agree with the sodium and fat tho. Thank you for your recommendation to reduce them. I will try it next time I get them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are All Sugars Created Equal?

Do you struggle with pre and post exercise nutrition?