Winter Squash

Winter Squash

I’m always sad to see summer end. I love the long daylight hours. And more notably, I delight in eating delicacies grown in my garden. There is nothing quite like eating something right off the vine when it comes to flavor and nutrition. 

But my end of summer blues quickly subside because, there is no doubt, fall is by far my favorite season. There are several reasons for this statement: I welcome the break from the heat and humidity of the summer months; with the turn of the leaves, the world suddenly becomes a pleasant array of beautiful colors; and, of course, delicious local fall produce comes to market. 

Typically harvested in September and October, winter squash (I personally would have named it fall squash) is one of my favorite seasonal foods. From a nutrition standpoint, it’s hard to argue the tremendous beneficial qualities of these autumn treasures. Winter squash of all varieties is an excellent source of vitamin A and a really good source of fiber, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin C. Winter squash is fat, sodium, and cholesterol free. It is also low in calories, averaging only 40 calories per cup. 

My grocery store offers at least six types of locally grown winter squash. Two of my favorite varieties are acorn and butternut squash. They are both readily available and very versatile. Although I sometimes substitute one for the other, they are very different in taste and texture. Acorn squash has a mild, buttery flavor with a more fibrous nature, while butternut squash has a sweeter, nutty flavor with more moisture content. Both varieties of squash can be roasted, boiled, or steamed. They are quite delicious roasted with a little olive oil and simple seasonings. They can be drizzled with butter and brown sugar, or stuffed with meats, grains, nuts and/or vegetables before roasting. They are also quite suited for soups, salads, pastas, or added to stews. The ways to enjoy winter squash are endless!

To me, nothing says “fall” quite like a steaming bowl of butternut squash soup. It’s no coincidence that I have some on the stove right now….that’s the inspiration for writing this blog! There are tons of recipes on the internet for you to explore, but today I just kept it simple: I peeled and cubed one butternut squash, combined it with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), a pinch of salt and pepper, and then roasted it on a sheet pan at 400 degrees until tender, about 30 minutes. In a stock pot I sautéed one large diced onion in a  little EVOO until soft and translucent, added two minced cloves of garlic and about a half teaspoon of dry Italian seasoning and cooked it for another minute. I then added the roasted squash, a bay leaf, and a quart of organic vegetable stock and simmered it with a lid on the pot for 20 minutes. After it simmered, I discarded the bay leaf and blended the soup until smooth. I had to do that in a couple of batches. I put the soup back in the stock pot and seasoned to taste with salt and pepper. It’s absolutely delish and that’s what’s on the menu for dinner tonight. I could add a little cream and a splash of sherry to make it more decadent, but tonight, I’m going for healthy and foregoing the extra indulgences. Trust me, I’m not that broken up about that idea….tonight, I want to embrace the extraordinary taste of fall.

ps….Don’t forget to roast the seeds, they’re delicious and nutritious! 


NB





Comments

  1. I loved reading your blog post! Winter squash is something that I love about the fall season! It is so versatile and there are so many recipes out there that are nutritious and delicious! I also really enjoy that there are so many different kinds of squash available during the fall season especially in local markets and grocery stores. Thank you for sharing such a simple recipe that really embraces the natural flavors of butternut squash! I am so excited to try it!

    -MF

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are All Sugars Created Equal?

Do you struggle with pre and post exercise nutrition?