2nd Generation GMO's

Do GMO’s Deserve a Fresh Look?




GMO’s, or genetically modified organisms, are like politics – not the best subject to bring up at Thanksgiving dinner – DON’T DO IT! People tend to be very passionate about this highly debated topic, maybe even a little angry. Some argue that it is part of the solution to feed a growing population, while others argue they are unnatural and don’t want them in their food supply under any circumstances.

I’ve never truly known where I stand on this subject. I’m one of those people that can make a valid argument for both sides of the debate. With that said, secretly, I always feel a little comforted when the package says “NON GMO Project VERIFIED” on it. I guess the unknown worries me a bit. I’m not generally a risk taker so – better safe than sorry!

So why do I feel we should take a fresh look? Recently, an article in The Washington Post caught my attention (I’ll post the link to the article at the end of the page – just in case you want to read it). The article is about second-generation genetic engineering. The first generation of GMO’s involved adding foreign objects such as bacteria, or splices of genes from other organisms to foods. More recent technologies involve turning on and off the gene expression of an organism to bring about, or suppress, certain characteristics. FASCINATING!! I can’t decide if this seems more or less “Franken-food” to me. But still, I’m intrigued.

The article actually got me a little excited about the future of GMO’s and the possibility that I may someday be openly supportive of the concept.  I’m not saying we should all jump on the GMO bandwagon; the jury is still out for me. But if you are completely against GMO’s, or on the fence as I am, we should watch this space with an open mind. This is a relatively young science with the potential for wonderful contributions to help provide sustainable food sources for future generations. 

NSB



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are All Sugars Created Equal?

Do you struggle with pre and post exercise nutrition?